Tectonic Shift: The HOKA Tecton X Puts Carbon on the Trail
In an increasing market of carbon-plated trail running shoes, the new HOKA Tecton X is the brand’s first offering to the genre.
With a history of creating high-cushion performance trail shoes as well as success with several models of carbon-plated road running shoes, Hoka Shoes has combined technology and experience from several styles of running to create the new Tecton X. Inspired by the earth’s tectonic plates and aiming to make a tectonic shift, the Tecton X offers uncompromising traction and increased running efficiency with dual carbon plates in a lightweight shoe.
With a wide footprint, the Tecton X provides stability on long runs without compromising on performance. Those looking for a spry and energetic shoe that can handle the rigors of the trail will appreciate this new race-ready option for their shoe quiver.
HOKA Tecton X Basic Specifications
Let’s take a look at the specifics of the HOKA Tecton X.
- Actual Weight: 8.7 ounces (248 grams) for men’s size 9
- Drop: 5 millimeters
- Upper Material: The upper is made of jacquard engineered mesh. This durable yet flexible material allows for a secure midfoot lockdown while providing high breathability. A bright orange and blue colorway makes this shoe stand out, and the toe rand provides protection from rocks and roots as you navigate technical terrain.
- Lacing System: The Tecton X has lacing that stretches nearly to the cap of the shoe. This provides a highly adjustable fit and allows the shoe to accommodate a variety of foot shapes.
- Tongue: The gusseted tongue lies flat and is minimally padded. This improves the foot-hugging fit while still providing cushion under the laces for all-day comfort.
- Midsole: The ProFlyX™ midsole uses dual-density technology combined with two independent carbon fiber plates to create what HOKA calls intelligent cushioning. A softer upper layer provides a supportive ride, while a firmer EVA foam lower layer will ensure a responsive toe-off for faster running.
- Outsole: For maximum traction with minimum weight, the Tecton X is equipped with a Vibram® Megagrip Litebase outsole. The lugs are strategically located around the toe and heel of the shoe while leaving the middle bare.